Rights of Grandparents and other relatives

Posted on July 16, 2015

by Margie Connolly

Margaret McCullough Connolly, Sugar Land Attorney and Counselor at Law



Sometimes the road less traveled is the one that is right for a child. We might wish that all children could grow up in the home of their biological mother and father, but that is not the reality of our world, nor is it always in the child’s best interest.

If you are the grandparent or another relative of a child whose biological parents are unable to care for the child properly, I can help you get that child’s life back on track. Contact my Sugar Land, Texas, office at https://mmconnollylaw.com to discuss your personal situation.

Know the Rights of Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, and Stepparents in Texas

Whether your main concern is rescuing a child from an unsafe environment, helping him or her develop in a positive and healthy way, gaining visitation or seeking termination of parental rights for an adoption, an experienced Sugar Land family law attorney like me can provide you with valuable guidance throughout the process.

My interest in cases like these dates back to the first one I handled. In that case, a grandmother had her daughter’s children to raise most of the time, but the mother would come back to get the children whenever her child support money was taken away. The grandmother had no legal rights to hold onto the children until we worked through all the legal issues to allow her to become her court-ordered conservator, receive the child support, enroll them in school and take care of their medical needs.

The sense of truly helping her, of keeping children with a family member and out of the foster-care system, was so rewarding that I have made a special study of non-parent adoption, grandparents’ rights, relatives’ rights and kinship care.

If you are concerned about the well-being of a child in your extended family, or a non-related child who has been living with you for an extended time, contact me to learn your rights and the actions you can take to protect, visit or adopt that child.